Monday, September 14, 2009

2ww

In fertility lingo the 2ww stands for two weeks wait. Its pure agony. Does 14 days , 336 hours, 20 160 minutes or 1 209 600 seconds which ever way you look at it, take so long to pass? Normally not, but when you are anxiously waiting it surprisingly takes forever. But with the wait comes worry. What is that little twinge, what's happening inside my body? Do my boobs look bigger? Is my stomach bigger or is it bloated? Oh no, is the bloating not a side effect of the dreaded AF? I am hungry? Should I be? Is it a craving? These are just some of the 100 or so more questions that 2ww'ers ask themselves. As it gets closer to the two weeks you start getting anxious and you start to worry. What if I am not pregnant? Can I handle the let down?

The worst time possibly was the 2ww. I agonised during this period. What if? There is a little baby growing inside of me or what if I was not pregnant?

Well somehow I managed to get through the two weeks and before I knew it it was D-Day. Day of testing. I went to the hospital to get the prescribed form instructing me to have the Beta HCG (Human Chorionic Gonadotropin) test, in laymans terms - a pregnancy test. If conception took place, then the new fetus would release the appropriate hormones which would be picked up in the blood tests. The count continues to rise, doubling and even tripling as the pregnancy progresses in the first few weeks.

I got to the hospital bright and early on Friday, 13 June and went to my gynae to collect the form. And then the wait. I had to wait for the pathologists to open at 8:30. It was 7:30am.

Finally, they opened and they took a tube of my 0+ blood for analysis. I was told to phone the gynae in four hours time. So back to work. Somehow the hours passed all too slowly until finally four hours had passed and I was beside myself. I knew that the gynae would phone on my cell phone and I anxiously checked to see that it was working. Eventually the wait became to unbearable and I phoned.

The doctor's receptionist answered the phone and calmly I enquired as to whether my test results had come in yet. She asked me to hold and with my heart beating in my throat, I gribbed the phone. This was it. My life could change in the next few seconds.

Then I heard her. I waited. She said it looked like I was pregnant but I would need to repeat the test on the Monday to see if my count had increased.

WTF? Hello, am I pregnant or not? Flip, more waiting...

2 comments: